This is going to be a very musical summer! The boys have been practicing rigorously for our July 4th gig. A whopping 24 songs:) We do love Chordie.com for our resources. It has lyrics, chords, and tabs. I remember the old days. If you didn't have the music, you could listen to the song several times(on audiotape or vinyl if you had it)--maybe a hundred, figure out the chords, type out the song on a clunky typewriter(with a bottle of Whiteout on hand),and this whole process would only take about a week! No, really, we actually got pretty quick at it, but I prefer how it works now. We can learn 4 to 5 songs a day at this rate. What a beauty Itunes is too. You can listen to make sure chordie.com has it right---which a lot of time they don't, but that only takes a few chord or lyric adjustments. I love the variety on Chordie.com because I have been able to find songs appropriate for church, oldies but goodies, and,yes, even rock and roll.
The boys also have a gig on July 19th where they will play for two funfilled hours. Andre-keyboard, Alex-lead guitar, Forrest-lead vocals, me-acoustic guitar, vocals, Elija(not my son)-drums. What is our list of songs?
Here's the list:
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
While My Guitar Gentlely Weeps
Come Together
Southbound
Another Brick in the Wall
La Grange
We are the Champions
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Ocean
Purple Haze
Holiday
Clocks
Wish You Were Here
Shine
Alive
American Women
This Love
Baba Oriely
To give our lead singer a break (Forrest age 11), I will sing and play with them:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
A Case of You (Joni Mitchell)
By My Side (INXS)
and some other songs too
We need to add more songs. I think Andre will throw in a little Chopin. And I think we should start each practice session with a little Gregorian Chant:)
No comments:
Post a Comment