Monday, June 8, 2009

A Bitter Sweet Win...


Boys with the competition's two judges... radio d.j.'s from Albany and Manchester


Phillip and I were relaxing on the sofa yesterday in our little learning room. He brought in our T.V. and we watched the golf tournament. I really enjoyed it! Sometimes I like to post these videos on blogger. This is the boys rehearsing pre-battle of the bands 2009. I post this so you can have a peek into our living room but also to paint for you the picture of what the atmosphere of our house is like.
As Phillip and I sat relaxing, there were several things going on at once. The boys were rehearsing not unlike the scenario above (except that I told them to turn it down a bit), Molly was tap dancing in the room directly above our heads, and Lily was in the kitchen making smoothies with one very LOUD blender. I looked at Phillip and said, "Did you think way back 18 years ago when we took our wedding vows that you were signing up to live in one very loud house?" He looked at me and smiled and said, "No." And I patted his arm and said," How wonderful it is that you are such a tolerant father and it's too bad that I'm so darn sensitive to noise!" He laughed. The tap dancing got louder above us, the blender got louder, the music rehearsal got louder and we shut both of our doors and Phillip turned up the T.V. I was reading my book and caught myself actually reading out loud! Phillip busted up laughing and I said, "I can't even hear myself think." Then one son opens the door pokes his head around the corner and says, "Hey what did you think of the run through of that song." (Actually it was Alex who did this after every song was finished.)

Yep...our house may seem like a zoo. The boys in the video may seem wild but they are not. It is not an uncommon occurrence for the boys to rehearse and then run off to our church for the local 3 o'clock rosary. It is not uncommon to see the rock 'n rollers and the little actresses pick up the Bible or discuss the things of God. It is not uncommon for these children of ours to point out what is the right thing to do and what is not.

But the World Out There is a Zoo:

Most of you know about the destruction of the ipod by a band member of a competing band at the Battle of the Bands 2009. He stomped on the ipod purchased by our boys in the presence of many audience members and threw it across the gym... And that this ipod our boys raffled off for free was in appreciation of one their fans. We had no idea a group of kids would get together and preplan revenge on the our sons. It was as if the gates of hell were unleashed that afternoon. The following week we were called to prayer, to our faith, and to realize that whatever we do in life we do for God. That whatever choices we make in life really do effect those around us.

I was proud that the boys won best band and best original song but I was even prouder of how they handled the situation and how they were considerate to all of the bands around them. Forrest wished each band luck and one band borrowed Andre's bass guitar. Forrest thanked the school and teacher for hosting the battle of the bands after their performance. It was unbelievable to me the hateful messages on the internet that were directed toward our boys and to myself the following days after the competition. Yep...we live in a world where people feel anything goes, that they can say or do whatever they want with little regard for those around them.

I feel so blessed to see our children bless those around them. To be the ones to help and encourage. To be light among the darkness.

The boys go this morning to NYC and will take with them all that they have learned and worked for here. Their Bitter End Show is June 10th at 7 p.m. Pray for their protection and that they can be a light, a light not to be hidden under a lamp, a light in a world filled with darkness.

And so now as a family we now choose to no longer hide our Catholic Moonlight in Vermont blog under a lamp but after a year of being invitation only have decided to open up our blog for all the world to see and hopefully to encourage and uplift our dear readers on this journey we call life.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105



At home video of the boys' original song "goddess". Just a portion. My camera ran out of room..a very common occurrence around here! This was pre Battle of the Bands competition. Exercise for the afternoon? For Forrest to play to the camera!

1 comment:

Neuropoet said...

Marianne,
I haven't been by in awhile, and I didn't know about the "ipod incident"... I'm very sorry that type of thing happened to your boys... but I am proud of them for carrying themselves so well. I pray they will continue to be a light in the darkness, and remain safe from all the "attacks of the Enemy". I pray they stand firm for what they know is True and Right.

Peace and blessings on you and yours my friend,
~Jenny

PS Do you remember what we were praying about concerning a dispensation from Rome? Well, after months of consistent positive feedback, the answer came back, "No," which was quite a shock to everyone involved. We spent a couple of days in a daze, but after Confession and the Sacrifice of the Mass we are at peace. God knows what is best... I had hoped to move closer to you and your boys though! It was particularly shocking for the dear bishop who was involved as it ended the plans he was making for us and the future - please send up a prayer for his peace of mind.