Friday, May 21, 2010

Some California Precious Moments

There have been a lot of precious moments on this trip to California, a lot of firsts for the girls, a lot of firsts together as a whole family.    Here I sit 7:00 p.m. pacific time and it amazes me to think that we are totally in a different time zone now.  When you all rise, we are still all abed and when you are  saying goodnight to your family,  we are still  up talking, planning, and praying.  In my waking hours I am in constant prayer for all of our loved ones, family and friends, and all those reading this blog.  In your waking hours please continue in prayer for us!

Every moment is changeable and quite amazing here.  I asked the girls if they missed home and they both chimed in a resounding, "No."   I was surprised although I shouldn't be.  They have been excited, playful, and down right fun!  I'm glad they feel this way because we will be here till the end of the month then back to New York and then...back to California.  

I was homesick the first day and a half in California and then...a calm resolve took over.  I looked around me, felt blessed, fell in love with California again, and reminisced about my lovely childhood memories. I watched the girls play on the beach while I fingered my Rosary with the knowledge that God is with you where ever you go.  
The peace is so overwhelming along with the complete knowledge that we are on a journey that is full of amazing and pleasant surprises.
Last night Phillip and I were tucked away in bed discussing the amazing occurrences of the day (this was about midnight) when Alex knocked on the door.  Phillip and I both said, "Come in." and with a gleam in his eye  he said, "Did you guys see the new EPK?"  "No!" We both said.  Alex eagerly showed it to us on his computer.  What excitement!  The video was fantastic but what struck me even more was the precious moment of sharing this with our 18 year old son.  We have always worked together as a family and I felt so blessed to share this special moment with our son.  
There are many moments like these and those are the moments that I hold most dear.  I reflected with my husband today as we ran errands in Marina Del Rey.  I said, "I am so proud of our children.  But I've always been proud of them in everything they have done.  Remember the first youtube video we put up of them?  I was just as excited about watching that as I was watching the video last night.  That feeling never leaves me."  
I was amazed at Lily's take on the French and Indian War this morning and her take on a Greek tale about why a snake sheds his skin.  Proud because she knew this stuff.  Proud of every little thing!  That's how parents are I guess.  Encouraging their children in their dreams.  Urging them when the going gets tough.  Commending them when they come up with tidbits of knowledge or creations of their own.  And...capturing those precious moments that you never want to forget.
Here are some California precious moments:


Molly doing a little reading and commenting on a cactus, "Oh, look, Mom, toothpicks!"
A little soccer on the beach...


An impromptu swim...
Precious moments of Molly...

No comments: