Saturday, May 12, 2007

Can You Really Pick-up Bees?

ANDRE on the kayak(to the right)



How exciting it is when a new project comes along, everybody learns, and I only have to be a spectator! Mother and Father are visiting from California and today is our "bee pick-up" day. What is a "bee pick-up"? No, it is not a social gathering and it certainly isn't when you stick your hand into a bee hive and try to grab a few while everybody cheers you on. No, it is when you go to pick up your imported bees at a beekeeping store, put them in your car, and take a 45 minute drive back to your place of residence, install your bees into your own stacked hives, introduce the queen into the hive, then salivate for 6 months until you harvest your honey ----which is a very messy job indeed!

Eight o'clock this morning all the men in this household piled into the car to take their bee trip! It will be an all day project because when projects are born you want to savor them. Last year we kept two hives and it was an experience that I'm sure my children will never forget! There is a love and respect of animals within the Mabile-Burnham clan and it is another experience that brings you closer to God. God created all these things for man's enjoyment and I never got that until I read my 5th grader's Catechism this fall with him, and then drifted down the Battenkill River in a kayack that very afternoon and drank in all the beauty and splendor of His creation. Today I will stop and mediate from that particular quote from Forrest's catechism:

"Knowing that God made the world---and made it for us---should make us see the world in a new light.
God made heaven and earth for you. They exist to remind you of God and to show you how great and good
He is. He wants you to enjoy them and be grateful for them" Credo: I Believe
Faith and Lifes Series 5

2 comments:

Jungle Pete said...

Beees! I have to remember that bees are all part of the great plan, but a car full of bees is slightly terrifying with my allergy! It's still a fun image to think of the family driving around with a car full of them.

Mysti said...

You and Phil are such awesome parents to surround your kids with so many different experiences.

I grew up in that same town and never once picked up bees (though I swatted a few) and I used to watch other people kayak (though I tubed down the Battenkill only a couple of times) and I never snowshoed (though I got snow in my shoes) You see my point? I did get to sing in church with some great people for a special time in my life. That's noteworthy.