Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Fish to Remember




This was an amazing day. We ate, swam, and fished on the Battenkill River. We do this quite often as it is that special time we can enjoy together as a family. It is another passion of ours...NATURE. There are no phones, radios, televisions, and usually not people except for the river travellers(canoers and tubers). The girls rock collect, and our youngest boy likes to show how he can walk in deep boggy mud at the river's edge. I always get a kick out of that one! He said you are supposed walk heel first and he learned it on the show Dirty Jobs. Yes, my children watch T.V. Usually it is the Discovery Channel or The History Channel with Leave it to Beaver thrown in. We have a couple of Beaver's running around our house:)

What was so amazing about this day? The boys caught a fish. I say boys because it was a joint effort. On Andre's birthday, Andre received a Pfluger fishing pole. With the money the boys have been earning this summer, Alex and Forrest also purchased Pfluger fishing poles. Forrest tried to corner the fish and catch it with his bare hands. Don't laugh, he's caught a fish like that before...not a trout, a sucker and he told me they are lazy fish!

Oh! Back to the story. It's real simple. They caught it with their new pole. What is so amazing? We go fishing and never catch fish! They were fishing where one river intersects the Battenkill. Now it is their "secret spot". What was on the menu that night?Well I can tell you. First a quick biology lesson and then Dad popped it on the grill with lemon and butter.

A little side note. I wanted to throw the fish back in the river and Alex said,"Mom, I think it's a little too late for that." Then Dad said, "Marianne, the fish won't be doing any swimming." The kids giggled and I said, "Oh, I see."

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Loved the story - esp about joining in together to catch the fish, and about wanting to throw the fish back!

Btw, my kids watch some TV and lots of DVDs!

Rachel said...

There are tales of trout being caught by hand... I've heard they like their bellies tickled. :)

I love your blog, and I am regretful that I won't be at VINS this coming fall for more home school science and nature fun with your family.

Best of luck in the coming year.

Marianne Elizabeth said...

Rachel,
Thanks for all your help last year. We will miss you!