
Breakfast...not my favorite meal but my favorite time of day. Is it illegal to rise before 5 a.m.? Personally I think it is but I confess that I have risen before 5 a.m. before. My usual rising time is 5:30 a.m. with an occasional 5 a.m. thrown in. To me there is something holy about the hour before dawn. Maybe just being quiet is what holiness is about.
One of my favorite books I've read about homeschooling is Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss. She does such a good job of driving home for me the beauty of homeschooling...noticing those moments when the little ones and even the teenagers come up with fun and innovative sayings and comments, things that just make you burst out in gut wrenching giggles. Some of my favorite blogs consist of the cute things little ones say.< (Diane:)>
Elizabeth blogged last year on how her feet do not hit the floor in the morning until she has said at least a couple decades of the Rosary. I loved that when I read it and have tried to make it a habit. I love gleaning ideas and practices from other people even something so simple as that can have a powerful influence over your daily life.
Breakfast for me is a delicious cup of coffee, a reflection of the day to come, and now my secret passion of reading the history, biology, religion, and latin assignments of the children ahead of time so I can spar and converse with them about it. Hey, who'd have thought I'd actually like Herodotus' The Histories or be researching the Persian or the Peloponnesian Wars?(I personally have always preferred fiction.)
And what about preschool? My passion. The girls and I dissected a pumpkin after we cut out cards of the life cycle of a pumpkin which I retrieved early that morning on a Montessori homeschooling website. Molly did a beautiful job of putting them in order. We baked the pumpkin seeds ala Martha Stewart. I watched Martha bake seeds many years back and never forgot her very simple recipe:) No more burning pumpkin seeds! It was the first time that Molly had carved a pumpkin and she had never eaten pumpkin seeds!
I will continue to treasure the morning hours when I can learn with my children, find new ideas to make the day just a little more exciting, and the quiet....I will always treasure the quiet.
1 comment:
This sounds like such a lovely, peaceful practice. I usually say some hail marys in bed, read some prayers to st anthony when I get up and then workout/organize the kids/laundry first thing. But your way sounds, well, more rhythmic!
Post a Comment