I love blogging because someday I will have so many accounts written down of what the kids have done daily, weekly, and projects, activities, and especially the "dailyness" of our lives recorded. I am, also, at the encouragement of a dear friend, keeping a more personal journal of the things that go on here throughout each day. Sometimes I feel as if nothing is being accomplished here until I put pen to paper and realize that in our dailyness we are still learning. I wish the kids could be involved in more activities but they cannot be at this time and it pains me a bit, but it does not seem to pain them at all. They are happy. They are excited about life and about what they do each day. Although our car does not seem to leave the driveway, at the end of the day when our heads hit the pillow we all agree we feel as if we have run a marathon and have driven all over creation.
Music is a very intensive experience because you put your heart and soul into it. It exposes a part of you that is so personal that you feel as if you are totally layed bare. Anytime you sing and play a song you have written it's as if someone is looking into your own personal journal. As Alex said this morning,"Music is a lot like Algebra in that your brain feels the same after three hours of music as it would feel after three hours of math."
When I was a music major at UCLA, I remember music had a way of grabbing you, pulling you in...almost in an addictive manner. But that goes with falling in love with it...of the process. When I was in the studio in Los Angeles many years ago(I was on a year long project) I remember coming home exhausted but wanting to work more on singing and song writing. I am glad my children love it. That they hunger for more of it. So our days will remain the same. Our car won't leave the driveway anytime soon but we will be running marathons within our own household. We will all draw closer to the One who created us. We will continue to create and critique ourselves. We will continue to have notebooks throughout the household with spontanious lyric ideas. We will continue to record song ideas into our Ipod. We will continue to have our livingroom overtaken with music equipment while the sofa and TV come in a very distant second. We will continue to study together rock history and what makes a song great. We continue to have a montage of stand up comedy to lighten the load. Oh, and of course we will never forget the importance of academics, the love of great literature, and how all these things must be placed throughout the cracks of our musical lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment