We have been busy with many things in our lives; school, after school activities, evening homework, house hold chores, and helping with a family business. I have come to realize the importance of training our children, whether 16 or 5, to spend individual time with God.
Yes, there are family rosaries and novenas but I want our children to grow up with having the discipline to spend time alone with God. This is nothing new among other families, I understand. But for us, it is. This time is completely different from the time spent studying theology. So we have come up with a simple plan...kind of like Pauline Jaricot's plan with "The Living Rosary" which she distributed among 15 people. Each of our children will be saying a decade of the rosary daily which will add up to one rosary!
So when the children wake in the morning (while gregorian chant is playing in the backround), they will proceed to say their very own decade of the rosary and we have picked out one scripture per week to meditate on...that they can read and think about. This week our Bible is opened up to Psalm 139:1-16 "The All Knowing and Ever Present God". Each week the scripture will change. But our family will be meditating and reading the same Bible reading that way it will leave things open for a family discussion...possibly at dinner?
We are all called to holiness and my prayer is that when our children leave and continue their lives in another place they will take with them a relationship that is the most important of relationships. For who else knows but almighty God "when I sit and when I stand"?
The prayer for this week:
May the children of all our dear families ever grow in their personal relationship with God.
1 comment:
What a wonderful idea! I wonder if I can "tweak" it to work for my boys... hmmmm.... :) Thanks for the "idea"...
hugs,
~Jenny
Post a Comment