How do we spend our mornings after prayer time? Reading Jane Austen novels! We are reading Pride and Prejudice right now and loving it! The kids and adults alike are going around the house quoting the book! I am a Jane Austen nut. I have read every one of her novels at least 4 times:) I have all the BBC movies except one and my kids love watching the movies!
Quotes used from the book by our family:
"What news of Kent?" (means: Any news? Usually when somebody gets off the phone or comes back from town)
"If you had behaved in a more gentlemanly manner..."(means: you would have gotten your way if you would have behaved better.)
"Let's take a turn about the room." (means: let's get walking around or quit sitting around!)
"Tease him, taunt him, laugh at him." (means: let's try to get so and so to react or to speak.)
"I am quite vexed! or I am quite put out!" (means: O.K. Now I'm irritated.)
To my husband: "You take delight in vexing me! You have no compassion on my poor nerves."
My husband to me: "You mistake me my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least."
You get the idea!
1 comment:
LOL! I LOVE Austen too - though unfortunately I haven't been able to pass it on to my immediate little family. Thankfully I have sisters to "talk in quotes" with. :) We do use a lot of quotes for communication around here though -it's kind of like having your own family language since often the quotes don't seem to have much to do with a given conversation to others. :) Personally I love the "What news of Kent?" line :) - and the entire dialogue on nerves is hard to beat! :)
My husband and I use a lot of movie quotes with each other - we even like "The Marx Brothers" quotes, which are absolutely ridiculous anyway, but they can be pretty expressive if "used properly". :) LOL!
Peace be with you,
~Jenny
Post a Comment