Thursday, June 19, 2008

Charity in the Home

I have been really focusing on the children's behavior within the past month. When I was reading A Charlotte Mason Companion, (which I stopped reading once I got to the chapter on Inconstant Kitty, chapter 11), I decided to step back and take a look at everyone's behaviors, manners, and the general atmosphere of our home. I decided we needed improvement!

We home schooling mothers spend so much time researching and discussing curricula. But, I think the character of our children and of ourselves is so much more important. I am actually a little tired of discussing curricula when the behaviors of our children are so often left to the wayside. When home schoolers gather in public, don't we want to have our children set wonderful examples for the other children? Don't we want to be just a little different? Don't we want others to say, "See how they love one another"?

Apparently, many mothers are on the same wavelength. Ginny Seuffert, mother of twelve, from Seton Home Study wrote a beautiful article entitled "Heroic Charity" in Seton's June 2008 newsletter. It is a little ironic that she starts out the article with the scripture, "See how they love one another" as I have been quoting this in our household since May.

I have also printed and posted on our wall "The 21 Rules Of This House" by Gregg Harris which I absolutely love! A lovely mother of 5, Marilyn, posted on her blog on June 17, 2008 "Summer Character and Habits Training" which I have also printed out. These three articles I have read to my children at morning gathering time and we have started to implement these virtues and habits within our household.

After all, as Mary Kay Clark has beautifully stated, "We are raising saints not scholars."

You can pop by 4 Real Learning forum to see what other mothers are saying about charity in the home. I will post the links on the side bar for any those interested to take a look at. Summer is the perfect time to work on charity within our domestic churches. As I've told my children," Form these virtuous habits in the home and and you will never go wrong. You will automatically be following God's will without even having to think about it!"

Blessings to all you mothers and fathers out there. Parenting takes constant diligence but it is so worth it!

1 comment:

Neuropoet said...

I agree, character building is one of the most important lessons we can teach our children. While living a loving life does make our kids "stand out in the crowd" - it's for something positive, and it makes the entire family a witness to the love of Christ. :) It's much nicer to be told how wonderfully my children treat each other than to have one of their "disabilities" commented on...

Peace,
~Jenny