Yesterday in the afternoon the boys went golfing with their Dad. The girls stayed home and decided to cook. Our four year old tied her apron on, stepped on her stool and we began to make seafood bisque. I call her Little Chef after that little cute rat in the movie Ratatouille.
O.K. Here's where the cute part comes in. Molly spotted a dead bug in the corner.
"Oh, Mom. That bug is dead. How did he die?"
"I think he got old, Molly."
Molly looks at me with very patronizing eyes.
"Oh, mom,....silly. Bugs don't have hair so he can't be old. He doesn't even have any gray hair." (I smile and explain how bugs don't need gray hair to be old.)
Molly: "So they are down here on earth for a lot of days and that's how they get old?"
Me: "That's right."
Conversation continues.
Me: "You are a chef today and I am too. That's my job."
Molly: (With patronizing eyes again) "Mom, you don't have a job."
Me: "You mean I don't work."
Molly: "No, you don't work because you don't leave the house."
Me: "Well, do kids work?"
Molly: " Kids don't work, silly. They don't go to an office. But, our brothers have a job."
Me: "What's that job."
Molly: "They go out and sing."
O.K. So now I realize kids' perceptions can be quite funny. But is it so funny? I think I better leave the house once in a while:)
Does anyone have an office I can borrow just for a few minutes?
3 comments:
I have had the same conversation with my wife who hasn't grasped the concept of me "working from home"!
God to know that if I don't have hair I can't get old - phew!
and raising 5 kids has to qualify as a job!
Thanks, Pete! You are so right! And...you are so lucky that you won't be aging a bit:)
Post a Comment