
Well, we have been focusing on charity in the home and it is going pretty well:) One of our new phrases in our house is "Remember the 21 Rules" or " Hmmm.... that's not one of the 21." (See The 21 Rules of This House by Greg Harris.)
Prayer together as a family is also key. We start out our day with the Holy Rosary (in Latin). My husband knows how to pray it Latin now too:) We also listen to the daily mass readings. I have found that starting out our day with prayer time has really helped our family stay focused on the things of God. I have tried scheduling prayer time at various times of day and morning is always better for us. It also works because my husband doesn't leave to go to work until 9:45 a.m. and he just has to walk next door.
Here is a habit we have formed before the boys play out at a gig: While they are breaking down the music equipment and loading up the car we blast loudly on the stereo the Holy Rosary and The Divine Chaplet. Yes, they are a rock band but we gotta warm up vocals with the Divine Chaplet. As we drive to the gig we "circle up" in the car with a prayer which my husband usually leads. We always pray for those listening, their lives, their needs, and their intentions.
This unity and prayer within the family is key. You know the commercial that says, "Life comes at you fast."? Well, it does. Sometimes it comes at you sideways with unexpected interruptions, or with an unexpected event during the day. I am a big list maker and I am always looking at my list with another" Hmmm" because even though I may complete a lot of tasks on my lists it never seems to ALL get done. I now know why. My plans are not Gods plans. We just got a phone call the other day. Tentatively, the boys may need to be in NYC for 2 weeks in September and for 2 weeks in October. O.K. How's that for sideways?
O.K. I know this year will be busy. ...And I have been planning school diligently for the past few weeks. My plans have already changed several times and I know they will keep changing! But I know with focusing the family on charity in the home and prayer time, we still can't go wrong. Things have a way of working out. They always do. Believe me. I've looked back at events in our lives and said to myself, "Wow, I couldn't have plan this one! Good thing I just got out of the way." I even wrote a song once entitled "Get out of the Way".
So no matter how the schedule unfolds, I still plan to take the kids up to Stockbridge, MA to The Shrine of the Divine Mercy for a day retreat before the school year begins. It is a beautiful way to start the school year. What does the Vermont photo at the top of this post have to do with "Finding Time for God"? Sanctuary. That's what this place is. Looking out my kitchen window at the Vermont landscape is a reminder for me of what the purpose of life is. In case you haven't looked at the catechism lately: To know, love, and serve Him in this world.
I truly believe if we rest in Him, stay prayerful and diligent in charity all other things will fall into place.
"Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us. Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us. We place all our trust in thee."
No comments:
Post a Comment