I just read in the July 2008 Seton Newletter the article "The Father's Role" by John Clark. I loved his insights and ponderings regarding fathers in the home. It is SO true that fathers have great influence over their children. My own father had such great influence over my faith that most credit to my Catholic faith goes to him. My mother was also faithful...such as giving her time for 2 decades to music in the church. But, so much credit is overlooked when it comes to fathers.
In the BBC movie Pride and Prejudice there is a scene at Rosings Park where Elizabeth Bennet tells everyone that she must quit her visit to Kent and return home especially due to the fact that her father needs her. Lady Catherine DeBourgh tries to convince her to stay by saying,
"Daughters are never much consequence to their fathers. If your mother can spare you than your father can."
I always cringe when this line is said. How many daughters had to endure this line of thinking!
What a beautiful role father's have in the home. There is a belief in society that fathers are not much consequence and are not as necessary as one may think! Hogwash!!! It is unfortunate that many children through no choice of their own or their mother's for that matter, have no father. But that is not what I am talking about here. If there is a father in a family than his role is weighted very heavily by each child. How a girl views men is greatly due to the example that her very own father sets for her during her years at home. We should never overlook what a great gift fatherhood is!
I see the loving care that my husband puts forth every day for our own children. He does things with the children that I would never think of! Here is an example:
Yesterday, we were all talking about how we need to fortify our home with MORE prayer. I said without prayer it is impossible to have a relationship with God. Can I have a relationship with anybody if I do not talk to them?
The children's father came in from this angle:
"We must fortify our home with prayer in this manner...Remember the Roman soldiers and their triple line strategy? The phalanx? That is what we must be for each other. When one falls or falters, then another must take his/her place until that person regroups. We must have constant vigilance here in our prayer life and our behaviors."
I couldn't have said that better nor could I have thought of that one period! Well, the boys loved the soldier reference! How beautiful to think of our support for one another in our prayer lives and in our home lives. That is truly a home where there will be peace, encouragement, good example, and harmony! And...it takes constant vigilance!
Let us this week pray for ALL fathers for they are SO very important to our families and to our society.
"
No comments:
Post a Comment