Monday, July 14, 2008

What's On Your Menu?

This was last night's dinner...very Mediterranean. Actually, we love to eat like this! It was funny when I tried to take this photo because all the little hands were just munching away. My husband thought the glass of wine in the middle was a nice touch (not for the children...for mommy).

One school year, we studied the Mediterranean diet food pyramid and we discovered we just loved that balance. Summers around here are fantastic for following this diet..of course there is a lovely market down the road to shop for these items and in winter a wonderful Italian food specialty market in town. Obviously it is mother and father friendly because all we have to do for preparation is chop. We didn't photograph chopped peaches and plums...the children ate those too quickly :<)

High blood pressure does run on both sides of our families. So, we like to stick to a little bit of meat, lots of salads, fruits, and vegetables. I am happy to say that our blood pressure readings are doing nicely. This morning Forrest is again eating country bread and olive oil...his favorite!
What's on our menu? ...mozzarella cheese, Vermont pepperoni (just a bit), tomatoes, olives, olive oil, avocado, plums and peaches, and basil if I would have remembered. Also, exercise...hockey for my husband and a 2 mile run/walk for me at least 5 days a week.

Last night when I tucked our 4 year old into bed she asked me why we didn't eat dinner. I told her we did! She said, "THAT wasn't dinner that was just a snack!" Hmmm... she'll get the hang of it.

No comments: