Sunday, December 28, 2008

Getting Healthy

Yesterday, I went nutso at New Morning health food store in Manchester.  Jan was so helpful in helping me select what to purchase and especially where to find things.  I love shopping there and shamefully have not been going enough lately.  Our goal this year is to get our family to eat really healthy.  Actually, they have been and they don't even realize it!  :)  Out of necessity financially, I have been cooking everything from scratch.  It is very rare that we have snack foods in our house.  What do we do for snacking?  Nuts, popcorn (popped in a frying pan or paper bag in the microwave), granola,  and bread with  honey or peanut butter spread and of course lots of sliced fruits and veggies...the kids favorite being sliced apples or celery dipped in peanut butter.

Phillip and I watched a few video clips from this Youtube site by Karen Knowler before he left for hockey this morning.  I'm ready to pull out my juicer again.  I haven't used it since I was pregnant for Molly and the kids keep begging me to make some carrot juice...they still remember!

Also, we will be growing sprouts.  This will be a really fun science project for our children...especially Molly and Lily...and...wonderful healthy eating.  

You have to understand something...I HATED cooking before.  It was something I dreaded and only did to get the job done.  I guess the Lord really has worked on changing my heart because out of necessity to cut back (a suffering of sorts) a LOVE for cooking has sprung up within me.
I'm off in a few minutes to make some granola for breakfast. 

Again, I really recommend watching some of those Youtube videos by Karen Knowler on the "howto" of raw food eating and preparation.  I just stumbled on her videos while trying to find a video on how to grow sprouts.  She does a great job of clearly explaining how to make muesli, a healthy chocolate smoothie, and so many more things.
Blessings to all for a healthy and prosperous New Year!

Love,
Marianne

1 comment:

Neuropoet said...

Thanks for the link Marianne! Maybe I can learn to enjoy cooking too... :)
Blessings,
~Jenny