Sunday, January 31, 2010

I loved reading this little article , "Stumbling into Self Discipline", this morning from Mater et Magistra Magazine. Sunday mornings are a lovely time for spiritual reading! It is a time to meditate and reflect on the upcoming week. Tomorrow begins a new month and in a few short weeks Lent will be upon us. Lent is such a beautiful time to reflect on the love our Lord has for us and his desire for us to know, love, and serve Him. Lent is a very fitting time to get to know our Lord. I just recently purchased a book Our Moral Life in Christ by James Socias. I purchased this book for our 11th and 12th graders but the day it arrived in the mail I curled up on the sofa and began to read. The book is instilled with the Baltimore Catechism and I am impressed with its content and have chosen to read this book for spiritual reading time during the next couple of months. It will make great discussion between myself and the boys.

In the past, we read Understanding the Scriptures by Scott Hahn and it is equally impressive. I highly recommend this series for high schoolers!

I also stumbled upon a wonderful article: 'The Rosary A Breath of Fresh Prayer". I know how difficult it is for mothers to fit this in! What impressed me the most about this article was the author's prompting us to pray throughout the day. One of my favorite scriptures in Philippians is "...pray without ceasing...".
May we all be strengthened and enlightened by God's Grace this week as we draw closer to Him, the one who created us in His very image and likeness.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Marianne! The wonders of the internet never cease to amaze me - the last time I saw you - after our days at Marywood - was on a plane to New Orleans about 29 years ago! Now I stumble across your blog as I help my 4th grader with a St. Peter project. I admire your homeschooling stamina! Your blog and family are beautiful and quite an inspiration and work of love. Bless you and yours, Karen Jacob Young "Mrs. Brownlowe"

Marianne Elizabeth said...

I cannot even believe this and I am so excited...sending love from our family to yours! I am absolutely blown away to hear from you in this way! And...so thrilled..yes, dear Mrs. Brownlowe...I have always prayed and wondered about you and so glad that you stumbled onto our site.
Blessings,
Marianne Mabile :)