Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

Rosary Album (A Visual and Scriptural Meditation on the Rosary) by Michael C. Buccino

Rosary Album is a great book to meditate on every mystery while praying the Rosary. I find myself easily distracted with the things of this world and this helps me focus while praying each "Hail Mary", "Our Father", and "Glory Be". There is a scriptural meditation and picture with each prayer. Michael Buccino put a lot of effort in drawing pictures for each bead which took him 18 years to complete. He originally started this book to make praying the Rosary more commemorative for his children. This endearing story is what inspired me to buy this book sight unseen! I am so glad I did! This book can be purchased at All Catholic Books. Just click on the above title.
Another gem I am reading or should I say rereading is A Charlotte Mason Companion
by homeschooling mother, Karen Andreola. I LOVE THIS BOOK! I plan to incorporate these wonderful tidbits of information throughout this spring and summer. I am really tempted to purchase the six volumes of the original books by Charlotte Mason, an educator from England who started her "House of Education" in 1892.
A Charlotte Mason Companion is a beautiful conversational style book that is so encouraging to mothers and fathers who lead the home education lifestyle.
On page 14 of the book Karen writes:
"What is the best curriculum for a well brought -up person? What ever the specifics of the curriculum used in your home, be sure that your children each day have:
-Something or someone to love
-Something to do
-Something to think about
....children who are not given something to think about grow up at best with two ideas: to work hard and amuse themselves when they are not working. Everyone needs a certain amount of amusement, but amusement is not an adequate substitute for something to think about....When children are guided to seek after something to think about during their home life, they will continue this habit throughout their lives."
Karen devotes a chapter to atmosphere in the home and a chapter I read last night "Bickerings". I really loved this chapter!
This is such a good book that I will be writing and reflecting about it periodically at our other blog Saint Benedict Academy.
If I could use one word to describe this book...REFRESHING :)
No comments:
Post a Comment