Saturday, February 9, 2008

Reflecting on Ash Wednesday...

We all have gotten the flu a couple of times since December. Admittedly, I have been a little annoyed about it. On Ash Wednesday, I woke up with body aches....hmmm...yet another flu. All better now.... but looking back upon Ash Wednesday, I realize that I was able to reflect upon Lent constantly throughout that day. I was able to spend lots of quiet time with my children, to offer up the aches and pains... however temporary. To pray together... to have conversation together...to allow others to help me when I have the tendency to take everything upon myself...a fault of mine.

It is so beautiful to realize that when you are striving to live under God's will (It doesn't mean that he wanted me sick!), that such good can come out of something such as a little suffering.

After forty-three years, I am finally getting it. God knows best! (I'm a little hard headed and stubborn.)

We were scheduled to go to NYC February 4th through the 9th. Needless to say, I was dissappointed. The dates were pushed forward to February 11th-14th. I was wondering why, but confident that the Almighty knew what he was doing since we had committed this to prayer...now I know. We were saved from enduring sickness in NYC and blessed with arriving on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. And very blessed that the Grannys (my mother-in-law and her sister) were available to watch our girls!

Now, I hope I can remember this as the hustle and bustle returns to our household. That a "Hail Mary" will constantly be on my lips...that our lives will be a constant prayer...for He wants us to "pray without ceasing."

Following, more for me then for any of you, is one of my favorite scriptures and a Lenten reflection:

"Always be full of joy in the Lord; I say it again, rejoice! Let everyone see that you are unselfish and considerate in what you do. Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything; tell God your needs and don't forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 4:4-7

2 comments:

Leonie said...

I really like the rejoicing comment - and how nice to be in NYC on the feast of Our lady of Lourdes! Sorry to hear about the flu...

Marianne Elizabeth said...

Yes, I love the rejoicing part too! And...I especially love the peace part!