Wednesday, September 3, 2008

911 Bee Rescue

We got a call from our friend, Kelly, yesterday.  Her bees had swarmed and her husband will not be back until Friday!  What to do?  We piled the 911 Bee Rescue crew into our van and rushed over to see what we could do.  Who's on the rescue crew?  None other then the "bee guy", Andre, and his associates, Forrest and Alex...



Uh, oh...the bees swarmed!

A discussion among the brothers ensues...
Andre, "I'm going in!"
Dr. Andre makes and evaluation...
Hmmm....the bees did swarm.  One of the reasons...too many queen eggs laid.  What do you do about queen eggs?  Andre says, "I always go in and squish mine so they don't have a reason to leave our Italian queen."  :)
Andre set up a bait hive a distance away from the swarm.  Last night,  we found out the bees didn't take the bait.  Today?  Daddy is going over with the rescue crew to cut down the dead tree to see if they can continue the hive salvage operation.   We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Neuropoet said...

Oooo - now that's nerve wracking. I'm reading a book about bees called Robbing the Bees which is actually really interesting. I'm still not sure if I'm up for having my own hive, but I'm definitely more understanding of the honey-making process. :)

~Jenny