Monday, September 8, 2008

"A Day in the Life" (click here)


Yesterday was a day of planning...a day of organizing.  I am so glad that we didn't start school last week full steam ahead.  I wouldn't have been ready.  I wouldn't have been present.  In subsequent years we have started school in August.  Sometimes you just have to go with your gut because I think deep down when all things are considered in prayer, you know what is right for your family.  

So Sunday was spent making granola cereal.  Yes, that's right...granola cereal.  My Aunt Susan many years ago gave me a lovely recipe for granola which I have NEVER used until now.  It was a hit!   I thought it would be  good idea for the children to start out their day with homemade cereal.  Actually, I'm boycotting any boxed cereal because it doesn't last more than five minutes in our household and there is always somebody inevitably  that doesn't get a serving out of that box!

 What was our first day like?  It was very QUIET until 2 o'clock (except for our 5 year old).  Did we have road bumps?  You better believe it!  Son #1 and #2 looked at their schedules and kept asking me where things were.  But...that's the first day of school and  so very expected AND I have to commend them on their diligence.   Children # 3 and #4 worked through all of their assignments.  Oh...you must be thinking right now that I must be living in a castle up on a hill somewhere.

NOT SO.  I read a wonderful article called "A Day in the Life" by John Clark in the September 2008 Seton Newsletter (click above). When I read the page, I could have kissed it!!!  Yes, the day was smooth in many ways but also with MANY bumps!  

My day started out late.  I woke up at 7:00 which is really late for me.  I put on the Rosary from EWTN and started doing some dishes from the evening before.  Why did I sleep in?  Our dog kept pacing in his little room and he had already been let out several times but I was thinking that he would leave a nice little present for me in the morning. 

Other children moseyed out of bed at different times.  But all of them were in good spirits...(sigh of relief).  Unexpected phone calls came out of New York City midmorning and then my focus was totally thrown off.  My husband paced in our workout room for an hour on the phone while I  listened in on the conversation periodically  in between giving lessons to the little ones.  Our 5 year old threw a fit at 11:30 when I said "no" to T.V.  (Actually, I said, "No way Jose.")  The fit lasted for half an hour.  A very smooth afternoon.  The boys went to play golf while the girls went to pick up a few things in Manchester which was unavoidable since a family tree from #3 and #4 is due in french class on Wednesday which will require poster board which we were out of... and we ran out of dog food.  So after our trip to town,  we went to the golf course to cheer the boys on...really fun! I went home to throw baked potatoes in the oven when I looked at the clock and it was already 6:00 pm.   Hmmm...dinner will be late tonight.   I went for a walk at the golf course anyway.  (Prayer time.)   We all came home to a smoke filled house at 6:30 pm due to granola that fell to the bottom of the oven and  at 7:00 pm #5 gashes the back of her head on a corner in her bedroom.  No stiches necessary!  Dinner is delayed for 20 minutes.

What do I tell my husband?  "Only 35 point 4 weeks to go.  I guess I'll take a day at a time."

How do a feel?   Surprisingly calm.  If it would have been last week though, I don't think I could have handled it..."melt down city".  That's what I mean about doing what is right for each family.  Mom and Dad know! 

I just want to let all mothers and homeschooling mothers know that you are awesome,  you are dear,  and that you are amazing people!  I remember all the hoops you jumped through, Mom.  :) 

Granola Recipe

6 cups of oatmeal
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 wheat germ
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup sesame seeds (did not use-I was out.)
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup of raisins (I used dried cranberries)
1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional)

In a large bowl combine oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, nuts and nonfat dried milk.

Combine honey, vegetableoil, water, and vanilla.  Add to coat mixture.  Stir to coat ingredients well.  Turn into two large shallow baking pans.  (I used my pizza pans.) Heat in oven at 300 degress for 30 minutes or until lightly toasted.  Stir twice during heating.  Stir occasionally while cooling.  Crumble into pieces.  If desired add raisins or cranberries. Store in tightly sealed container. Can freeze.

No comments: